“Naughty” (you’ve heard these before):
- Don’t go to the party hungry. Have a little snack in advance.
- Don’t let stress wear you down. Find downtime for yourself.
- Don’t keep leftover sweets for yourself. Gift them or toss them.
- Don’t close down the party. You’ll just keep eating and drinking as long as you’re there.
- Don’t skip your favorite treats or deprive yourself of seasonal favorites but monitor those calories.
“Nice” (how many do you practice):
- Stand and converse at a distance from the buffet table so you don’t nosh unconsciously.
- Pile a small plate high once with one-third to one-half with veggies then refrain from additional visits to the buffet.
- Eat colorful, healthy food like cranberries for antioxidants & sweet potatoes with beta-carotene and quality protein.
- Select some tasty bites with strong flavors, such as blue cheese and bacon so fewer bites satisfy and you can indulge less in the high-sugar treats and low-flavor fats.
- Drink alcohol judiciously and slowly. Have a 4 oz. glass of wine (~90 calories) or 1/2 pint of beer ~80 calories) but be wary of cocktails with calorie rich fruit juices or other mixers.
- Refill your beer bottle with water. (This Build Your Tour hint keeps you in the flow of the party without the pressure to “grab another.”)
- Find time for 30-45 minute workouts to retain your fitness during hectic holidays.
“Do you really want to go up Passo Pordoi?“, I asked the brownie a la mode. Amazingly, very few of the dessert items responded with a resounding “YES!” In a strange, True Confessions, Twilight Zone way these odd conversations actually worked for me. Asking the question, allowed me the time and space to consider if I really wanted dessert. I was in the best physical shape ever for a tour. I learned what works for me. And the tour was a blast. So after my true confession…..maybe you’ll add “talking to desserts” to your Naughty & Nice list!
Merry Christmas from Daina & Build Your Tour!
Photo credit to our friend Teri Virbickis. Find her stunning photography on shutterstock.com and flickr.com.
Please comment & LIKE us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/buildyourtourllc